Thursday, July 15, 2010

Production, Here I Come!

As some of you may already know I am currently working towards my Masters in Theatre Education at the Catholic University of America. The Professors in CUA’s drama department never fail to amaze me; but what impresses me even more is that I am able to carry so much of what I learn back to my life at Ballet Petite.

Last night my Production Design class had a guest professor, Gail Beach, CUA’s Drama Department Head! Gail is an extremely talented costume designer. I’ve always thought of Gail in the theatrical setting, but last night I found out that Gail has been extremely involved in the world of dance! She has designed for Maryland Ballet Company, Washington Ballet, Dance Kaleidoscope, and Ballet West! She’s also designed for the Folger Shakespeare (where former Ballet Petite teacher Miss Roxi performed earlier this year!!). Currently Gail is also the costume designer for Doug Hamby Dance.

Obviously I love the performing arts, but the visual arts have never come easily to me. But after last night I can now draw bodies for costume renderings, and even have an understanding of how to draw fabric so that the drawings have a real-life quality. Maybe one of these days I’ll get a chance to put some of these new skills into practice at Ballet Petite! Before you know it, I’ll be at Production designing costumes along side the phenomenal Miguelina!

Another one of my professor’s describes theatre as “the thief of all the arts”; well, I contest that Ballet Petite is “a thief of all the arts” too. What a beautiful concept, and how lucky are our parents, students and staff are to be a part of it.

Happy costuming!

Miss Elizabeth

PS- If you're interested in learning some more about Costume Design here's some advice from the experts! http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/14212/advice-for-those-thinking-about-a-career-in-sewing-or-design

No comments:

Post a Comment