Tuesday, December 31, 2013

How to Make New Years Resolutions Work

I've always been a very goal-oriented person.  I needed a set outcome and I worked to get myself there.  It seems as though the concept of New Years Resolutions would be perfect for me, huh?  Well, not so much.  So what's wrong with New Years Resolutions?

I worked in one of the largest casting offices in DC and around New Years is when the phone was ringing off the hook- "I've always dreamed of being an actor so how do I get started?"  I would take in a deep breath and say, "First, get professional headshots, type up your resume, oh?  Don't have anything for your resume?  Then, search craigslist for student films, 48 hour films, everything to get some stuff on there."  Not sure how many people followed up on my advice on how to get started or really stick with it, but by March, we might have a few new faces show up on our database, but not too many.

Also, working at a dance studio- you see this often, too.  Before working here at Ballet Petite, I worked at a studio with a large adult dance population.  January, followed by February were by far our busiest months.
So moving on to how to do New Years Resolutions without being the mass that has faded away by March?  Set an outcome for December of 2014 and a path of "mini-goals" throughout the year.  For example, the brand new dancer, set a goal to move up to a Advance Beginner class by the end of 2014.




January
Sign up for Introduction to Ballet Class
Learn the basics

March
Move into a proper Beginner's class-- forward movement is important around this time as the vigor from New Years is gone.
Work on flexibility, strength, and basic technique.

May
Add another class during the week- try something new or add another ballet class
- Where's my flexibility?
- Work on basic leaps and turns.

 July
Should know terminology by now
- Where's my flexibility?  Do I have my splits yet?  If not, start working on them.  If you do, work on other splits- "bad side," "center splits."
-How are your turns & leaps?

September
Dance is now a part of you!  Congratulations!
Think about finding a performance class that's listed as an "all levels" or for "advance beginners."  End the year with the reward of performing.      

December
Start thinking of new goals to set for the upcoming New Year.  Perhaps try add a new genre of dance along with taking ballet.  
Are you ready to move into a Advance Beginner's class?
Keep in mind, the leap from Advanced Beginner to Intermediate takes a bit of time and will probably take a few years.

It does seem to feel a bit daunting this way, after all, many people seem to set several New Years Resolutions:  Lose Weight, Travel to Europe, Be in a Play, Take Dance Classes, Learn a Foreign Language!

Perhaps this is why my projects seem to get somewhere, whereas my resolutions get nowhere.

Happy New Years!

~ Miss Jenna

"A dream is just a dream.  A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline." - Harvey MacKay






 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment