Monday, December 30, 2013

"Well, if the Shoe Fits."

Almost as important as the dancer's feet are the shoes. Having proper and good-fitting footwear can make all the difference in a practice and/or performance.


For younger dancers who are just starting to dance, having the proper footwear can actually be vital. Children, even toddlers, knows when something does not fit right. Ballet slippers that are too tight can make dancing uncomfortable and not enjoyable because all the dancer is focused on is how much their feet are hurting.
Parents should be mindful of their little dancer's feet:
Shoes that are too tight can hurt the skin on the ankle. Also, the toes should be nice and flat in the shoe, not curled.
Shoes that are too big can cause blisters and dancers can trip over their feet.
For children that are still growing, I would recommend trying shoes that are 1/2 - 1 size bigger than their fit. Dance shoes can be expensive and you don't want to have to buy them every few months! If they are a little bit big, nearly all ballet shoes have drawstrings on the shoes to make them tighter. As your dancer grows, you can loosen the strings to make the fit more comfortable. Just be careful not to pull those string too tight; it can hurt!

For the older dancer who is a little more serious about dancing, footwear is VERY important.

I remember getting fitted for my first pair of pointe shoes. I was SUPER excited to finally get them. I think it took about 30 minutes to find the right pair that fit. I went through so many different sizes and brands to find the perfect pointe shoe.

I also remember getting shoes that did NOT fit so well. I got so many blisters and sores on my feet!

Older students should definitely get shoes that fit snugly. Intense pointe work or even rigorous tap dancing and cause a lot of strain and discomfort if shoes do not fit right.

It is also the responsibility of the dancer to make sure that their shoes are just right for them. For my pointe shoes, I would smash the box in a doorway to soften it a little, or wrap my toes up in tape to avoid blisters. For certain brands of shoes, I would add an elastic on it to make sure the shoes stayed on my feet. Also,
I always carried a screwdriver in my dance bag in case my taps on my tap shoes became loose. 

Whenever you or your dancer are getting shoes fitted, especially for pointe shoes, call the store first and ask if they have an expert shoe fitter.

It is SUPER important that dancers take care of their feet. Feet are a part of your instrument of dance and they need to be given the most excellent care. Get the proper footwear and never settle for less.

So, happy dancing, and love your feet!

 




Miss Tess
tessc@balletpetite.com

2 comments:

  1. such a wonderful post about if the Shoe Fits lovely and gorgeous. some time its became losing when dance feet sleep due to action but create control of dancing.

    Ballet barre | Ballet clothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is something naturally Shoe Fits happy dancing. i am very glad and exiting to knew this dancing.

    Ballet fitness | Ballet Be Fit

    ReplyDelete