Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Recital jitters: Feeling calm and collected before stepping out into the spotlight

It's that time of year... RECITALS!

I know our teachers here at Ballet Petite are wrapping up choreography and polishing dances so that they will be performance ready. Our production team has also been vigorously preparing costumes and props.

It's getting a little crazy, but we love it!

I have some students that are performing on stage for the very first time ever! What a special moment!

I remember my first dance recital ever. It was a butterfly dance. I was the pink butterfly. My teacher made me these beautiful wings to wear and silver antennae. I hardly recall the choreography now, but I do remember one part where I held my arms in fourth position and twirled toward the back of the stage in order to prepare to leap toward the audience. Twenty years later, I still remember the thrill of being on the stage for the first time and having people applaud for me.

While these are students are super excited, some are extremely nervous. Unfortunately, I even have a couple students decide they did not want to do recital because they were a little scared of being in front of so many people. That is totally normal and it is nothing to be ashamed of!

If you are braving the crowds, but still have a little anxiety before that big performance, here are a couple tips to help calm the nerves so that you can do your best and give the best show you possibly can!

1. Don't forget to breathe!
It may seem like something that should come naturally, but come moments of anxiety, you can actually forget to breathe. Lack of oxygen might cause you to faint, especially if you're dancing! Practice the dance at home a few times and pay close attention to when you are breathing.

2. Think happy thoughts!
Don't think about what could possibly go wrong. Do think about all the things that WILL go right!

3. Eat well!
Healthy foods are great to get you the energy you need for a performance. Try to avoid caffeine and sugar, which can make the anxiety worse.

4. Be well prepared!
The more prepared you are, the more confident you will feel. Make sure to attend class so that you get all the practice you can with the help of the teacher. Practice a couple times at home and visualize the dance in your mind before you step out on stage.

5. Don't focus on yourself!
Think about what you are trying to accomplish - you are entertaining an audience. In cases of recital, many people there know who you are and are there to support you.

6. Smile!
You can fake anything with a good smile! Look happy and confident and you will be!

Happy dancing, and break a leg!

Miss Tess
tessc@balletpetite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment